The Pomeranian Dukes` Castle
Sometime during the first half of the 12th century Duke Wartislaw l built a timber castle on the site of a temple dedicated to the three-headed Slavic god Triglav. The castle was enlarged during the 13th century and in 1346 Barnim III added a so-called stone house. The oldest preserved part of the castle today is the south wing built by Duke Boguslav X in about 1490.
After 1530 Duke Barnim XI extended the castle and from 1573 until 1582 it was rebuilt by Duke Jan Frederic in Renaissance style.
After the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 the Swedish Governor General of Pomerania resided here and from 1705 the castle was for some years the home of the Polish Queen Catherine Leszczynska and her daughters. In 1720 it became the residence of Duke Christian August of Anhalt-Zerbst, commander of the Prussian garrison. In 1944, carpet bombing by the allied forces destroyed nearly 70% of the castle. Its rebuilding in Renaissance Style began in 1958 and continued until the 1980’s. Today, the rooms of the castle are used for exhibitions and other cultural activities.