Archeological work was performed at the site during the 20th century, and in 2002 a museum was established underneath one of its bastions. The archeological exposition “Kurtina” was opened in the restored castle’s northern curtainwall. With the help of ~ 5 thousand finds and the latest technologies in 800 sq. m exhibition spaces reconstruction of the old history of Klaipėda from the 13th to the 18th century was created.
The Castle of Klaipėda also known as Memelburg or Memel Castle was built by the Livonian Order at the mouth of the Dangė River. The castle was first mentioned in written sources in 1252. Centuries of fights between Lithuanians and Germans followed. The Castle of Klaipėda, known at the time as Memelburg, played a key role in the state of the Order being opposed to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. This fact influenced the dynamic history of the castle and the town. Attacks, fires, rebuilding and upgrading constituted the routine of the Klaipėda Castle. After the castle lost its military importance, it gradually fell into ruins. The bricks of the castle were used in the second half of the 19th century for building the actual old city centre.